Big tech companies compete over who can gather the most intelligence on their users. Countries like Russia and China turn this information against their citizens.
Just 5% of US adults say using social media is good for their mental health. A psychologist offers some tips to help the other 95%.
People know about Facebook's problems, but assume they are largely immune – even while they imagine that everyone else is very susceptible to influence.
Overall spending is reported but important details are missing.
Blockchains and cryptocurrencies are being co-opted by the very system they were designed to overthrow.
Rather than revealing an advertiser targeted you by your phone number or email address, Facebook may tell you it showed you a particular ad because you like Facebook. That's not much help.
Facebook’s Mia Garlick on how Australian politicians are using social media.
The Conversation44,8 MB (download)
Today's Media Files podcast examines the role of social media in election campaigns, including the spread of 'fake news' and foreign political interference.
Uber's IPO will value the company at more than $80 billion, yet the data it collects on its users may be worth even more – and creates the potential for dangerous manipulation.
People could be asked to prove their identity to continuing posting political content or adverts on Facebook.
It's easy to legislate for new offences and more incarceration. It's harder – and more expensive – to ensure the community is safer in the long term. This involves addressing causes, not effects.
In the face of digital disruption that threatens the very fabric of democratic culture we must refashion Enlightenment oppositions for new times.
The major parties are focusing on social media like never before to get their messaging out – and finding more creative ways to do it.
The drumbeat of data breaches and the growing problem of identity theft disproportionately harm low-income Americans.
Simple math reveals some surprising facts about the underlying structure of Facebook and other social networks.
New regulations have been rolled out to counter the spread of misinformation during the campaign, but these steps will largely be ineffective in the fast-moving social media sphere
Social media manipulation is tearing societies apart – but it can help put us back together again.
India's parliamentary elections, now underway, will show how social media is affecting Indian society and government.
Consumption has become the primary form of self-identity and self-expression.
It's all well and good for Facebook to shut down people like Faith Goldy, but it's critical we recognize that the far right’s culture war is diffusing more broadly within Canadian politics.
The Commonwealth Criminal Code now has two substantive new criminal offences aimed at limiting live streaming of crime. Both target technology companies, not terrorists.