Babeș-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, has become in time an emblem of success for Cluj and for the entire country.
1959 marks the merging process of the Romanian University in Cluj with the Hungarian University. The new institution was called Babeș-Bolyai University and included six faculties at the time of its creation: Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Faculty of Chemistry, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Geography, Faculty of Philology, Faculty of Law, Faculty of History and Philosophy.
It is a dynamic and constructive institution well integrated into society and oriented towards future, a future which it can design, prepare and build. An institution that can only be conceived within the framework that consecrated it, that of the universitas magistrorum et scholarium (“community of magistrates and disciples”), of the community of teachers and students, of the “corporation of equals” with an exclusive preoccupation for innovation and knowledge.
With more than 41,000 students in 2014, it is the largest university in the country. The Babeș-Bolyai University offers study programmes in Romanian, Hungarian, German, English, and French. The university was named after two prominent scientists from Transylvania, the Romanian bacteriologist Victor Babeș and the Hungarian mathematician János Bolyai.
UBB is affiliated, inter alia, to the International Association of Universities, the Santander Group, the Agence universitaire de la Francophonie and the European University Association. Likewise, UBB signed the Magna Charta Universitatum and concluded partnerships with 210 universities in 50 countries, and it is widely considered as one of the most prestigious in Eastern Europe.
The Babeș-Bolyai University is classified as an advanced research and education university by the Ministry of Education. In the 2012 QS World University Rankings, it was included in the Top 700 universities of the world,on the position 601+, together with three other Romanian universities.[