Kyoto Women's University

Kyoto Women’s University (京都女子大学 or Kyōto joshi daigaku) is a private women’s college in Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan.

The origin of Kyoto Women’s University goes back to 1899. Established by a young Buddhist named Ms. Wariko Kai, the objective of the then-named Kendo Jogakuin was to educate women with the spirit of Buddhism as a foundation. In the 119 years since, Kyoto Women’s University has contributed to society as a pioneer of female education in Japan. Immediately after college education became accessible for women following the end of World War II, Kyoto Women’s University received its university charter in 1949, opening with the Faculty of Letters and the Faculty of Home Economics.

Subsequent additions include the Faculty of Human Development and Education, the Faculty of Contemporary Society and the Faculty of Law (the first law faculty at a women’s university in Japan), meaning the university today consists of 5 faculties and 5 graduate courses.

Links

Authors