Dr Andrew Sullivan is head of CSIRO’s Bushfire Behaviour and Risks team within the CSIRO Land and Water Flagship. His research covers five key areas: fuel dynamics, fuel availability, fire behaviour, fire impacts and fire management.
Dr Sullivan’s research team brings together expertise in:
- field-based experimental work
- laboratory-based experimentation
- predicting fire spread
- the chemistry and physics of combustion.
Recent research includes:
- running bushfire behaviour experiments under controlled conditions in the CSIRO Pyrotron, a bushfire wind tunnel
- understanding how fire seasons and climatic conditions contribute to bad fire seasons
- understanding how grassfires behave and how their behaviour can vary from predictions.