Dr. Robyn Torok is a highly experienced researcher, obtaining her first PhD in education investigating how power is used within organizations, along with the notion of surveillance and governing of workers and its impacts upon the organisation.
Dr. Torok has submitted a second PhD for examination, investigating how psychiatric power, and forms of propaganda are used in the on-line radicalization process of recruitment to jihad, radical ideology and extremism.
The focus of Dr. Torok's research explores the way in which social media is being used by jihadists as a form of an institution to govern behaviour of Australian recruits to acts of martyrdom in the West and abroad.
Dr. Torok’s second PhD in Security Science is leading the way in Australia and worldwide in understanding, as well as, developing new models and cutting edge mechanisms on how terrorists use social media to spread extremists propaganda, recruit, radicalize, and encourage a radical form of Islam that endorses not just recruits, but martyrs and lone-wolf operations in the West.
Dr. Torok's research includes: on-line radicalization, counter-terrorism, lone-wolf terrorism, countering on-line terrorist propaganda, policy, intelligence, combating terrorist use of the internet, eschatology and the impacts upon terrorist radicalisation, narratives, national security, Islamic state ideology, and Middle East Affairs.
Academic Awards and Honours:
* Valedictorian A.M.D.C., Melbourne, 1991
* Best Performing Student Women in Research/Best Performing Honours (PhD/Master entry), CQU, 2004
* Dean's Award for Academic Excellence in a Master’s Program, USQ, 2005
* Dean's Commendation for Outstanding Achievement, USQ, 2005
* CQ Bursary, 2004
* APA scholarship EdD GU, 2007
* Southern Queensland University Scholarship PhD, 2007
* ISATT Bursary - PhD Conference Finland, 2009
* Macquarie University Scholarship MQRES PhD, 2010
* Edith Cowan University Scholarship ECUPGS PhD, 2011
* AMP Technology on Tap - participant finalist award $2, 000, 2011
* International Certified Black Belt - 2nd Dan (WTF - Kukkiwon certified)
* Trialled for the Games of the XXV Olympiad - Taekwondo
* Trialled for the Games of the XXVII Olympiad - Taekwondo