Founded in 1908 as Agricultural School of Lavras, in 1938 it was named School of Agriculture of Lavras; it was federalized in 1963 and in 1994 it became Federal University of Lavras (Portuguese: Universidade Federal de Lavras ) – UFLA. Since then it is committed to provide and foster development and continuous expansion of services to society.
UFLA’s force and grandeur may be measured when considering its current structure and future prospects. The institution is organized into 17 Didactic-Scientific departments, which act in different areas of knowledge. UFLA prepares more than 5,600 students in its 30 under-graduate courses (23 classroom courses and 7 distance learning courses). There are more than 1,500 graduate students, distributed in 20 Masters and 18 PhD degrees. In the distance-learning program, there are more than 5,000 students from all Brazilian states and abroad. UFLA projects to count on an enrollment of about 15,000 students by the year 2012.
With these indicators, UFLA consolidates itself as one of the most important institutions of higher education in Brazil, always aware of its social role in higher education, and concerned not only with its universality, but also with its high quality of vocational training, development and citizenship .
UFLA has produced more than 30 thousand professional graduates and post-graduate specialists acting throughout Brazil and abroad.