RESEARCH AND TEACHING AREAS:
• Gender, race, bodies, and subjectivities in Marvel’s superheroes
• Bodies and politics: Breasts as sites of political innovations
• Intersectional analysis
• Science and gender
• Science in contemporary poetry
• Gender in international research collaborations
• Visual and aural poetics
• Graphic literature
• Pedagogies re: Community Service Learning and online learning
• Ph. D., 2012, Department of English and Film Studies, University of Alberta
• Participant, Oct. 28-30, 2016, Narrative Medicine Workshop, Faculty of Medicine, Columbia University, NYC
• Visiting Research Student, Jan. – Apr. 2009, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
• Participant, Summer 2007, School of Criticism and Theory, Cornell University, Ithaca NY
RESEARCH CONTRIBUTIONS (2014-PRESENT):
Publication in progress:
• The Cancer Plot: Terminal Immortality in Marvel’s Moral Universe. Co-author: Reginald Wiebe. Forthcoming with the University of Alberta Press.
• “When the Phallus is a ‘Dick’: The Cultural/Material Turn to Breasts.” The Routledge Companion to Gender, Sexuality and Culture. Sept. 2022. Co-authored with Reisa Klein.
• Reimaging Breasts. Special Edition for Imaginations: Journal of Cross-Cultural Image Studies, vol. 11, no. 1 (2020). Co-editor with Reisa Klein and Gabrielle Siegers.
• “Erotic. Maternal. Cultural. Symbolic. Medical. What are breasts? How are they imagined? And who gets to decide?” Introduction to Special Edition for Imaginations: Journal of Cross-Cultural Image Studies, vol. 11, no. 1 (2020). Co-written with Reisa Klein and Gabrielle Siegers.
• Photograph-Essay on Breast Prosthetics. For Imaginations: Journal of Cross- Cultural Image Studies, vol. 11, no. 1 (2020). With Aloys Fleishmann.
• Book Review on Chris Lezotte Power Under Her Foot: Women Enthusiasts of American Muscle Cars for The Independent Scholar, 2019.
• “Enhancing Learning Cultures Through Inter-Disciplinarity: A Reading Group Pilot Project for Medicine and English Studies.” Keeping Reflection Fresh. Literature and Medicine Series. Eds. Allan Peterkin and Pamela Brett-MacLean. Kent State UP, 2016, pp. 15-18. With Tamar Rubin.
• Book Review on Hatim Kanaaneh’s Chief Complaint: A Country Doctor’s Tales of Life in Galilee for the University of Durham’s Centre for Medical Humanities. On-line. 2015.
• “Beauty Ideals, 20th-21st Centuries.” The Cultural Encyclopedia of the Breast. Ed. Merril Smith. Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.
• “Reconstructive Surgery.” The Cultural Encyclopedia of the Breast. Ed. Merril Smith. Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.