I conducted my PhD thesis under the supervision of Dr M Estrada (ICM-CSIC, 1987-91), focused on phytoplankton ecophysiology.
My postdoc, advised by Dr T.T. Packard investigated bacterial respiration (IML, Québec 1991-93). I obtained a permanent position as CSIC Tenured Scientist in 1997, promoted to Scientific Researcher in 2018.
I have been involved in two international programs for coordination of international research on harmful algal blooms (HABs), GEOHAB (2008-2015) as Vice-Chair and GlobalHAB (2016-2019) as Chair.
I served as Vice Director of the ICM (2009-2019) and as head of the Nutrient Analysis Service of the ICM (2009-on going).
My general objective has been contributing to the understanding of the structure and dynamics of marine planktonic ecosystems, and their responses to environmental and anthropogenic forcings. Some highlights include:
- Improvements on the characterization of the physiological state and respiration of plankton using biochemical indicators.
- Demonstration of direct impacts of small-scale turbulence on dinoflagellates physiology (modulation of DNA, toxins and DMSP cell concentrations, cell and life cycle, encystment), parasite infection and grazing.
- Control of HABs by hydrodynamic regime and underground freshwater nutrient supply.
My present challenges include unveiling the toxic mechanisms associated to aerosols generated along Ostreopsis blooms and investigate the effects of climate change on HABs and other processes in polar regions.
Código ORCID: 0000-0003-1123-9706
Scopus Anthor ID: 55975291500
1. Tester, P.A., Litaker, W., Berdalet, E. (2020). Climate Change and Benthic Harmful Algae. Harmful Algae 91: 101655, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2019.101655 Q1
2. Wells, M.L., Karlson, B., Wulff, A., Kudela, R.M., Trick, C., Asnaghi, V., Berdalet, E., Cochlan, W., Davidson, K., De Rijcke, M., Dutkiewicz, S., Hallegraeff, G., Flynn, K. J., Legrand, C., Paerl, H., Silke, J., Suikkanen, S., Thompson, P., Trainer, V. (2020) Future HAB Science: Directions and Challenges in a Changing Climate. Harmful Algae 91:101632 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2019.101632 Q1
3. Borja, A., White, M.P., Berdalet, E., Bock, N., Eatock, C., Kristensen, P., Leonard, A., Lloret, J., Pahl, S., Parga, M., Vera Prieto, J., Wuijts, S., Fleming, L.E. (2020) Moving towards an agenda on ocean health and human health. Frontiers in Marine Sciences, section Marine Ecosystem Ecology. Front. Mar. Sci. 7:37. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2020.00037 Q1
4. Brown, A. R.; Lilley, M.; Shutler, J.; Lowe, C.; Artioli, Y.; Torres, R.; Berdalet, E., Tyler, C. (2019) Assessing risks and mitigating impacts of Harmful Algal Blooms on mariculture and marine fisheries. Reviews in Aquaculture 12: 1-26, doi: 10.1111/raq.12403 Q1
5. Saha, M., Berdalet, E., Carotenuto, Y., P., Harder, T., John, U., Not, F., Pohnert, G., Potin, P., Selander, E., Vyverman, W., Wichard, T., Zupo, V., Steinke, M. (2019). Babylonian towers in a blue world - using chemical language to shape future marine health. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2019; doi:10.1002/fee.2113
6. Anderson, C.R., Berdalet, E., Kudela, R.M., Cusack, C.K., Silke, J., O’Rourke, E., Dugan, D., McCammon, M., Newton, J.A., Moore, S.K., Paige, K., Ruberg, S., Morrison, J.R., Kirkpatrick, B., Hubbard, K., Morell, J. Scaling Up from Regional Case Studies to a Global Harmful Algal Bloom Observing System. (2019) Frontiers in Marine Systems 6:250. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2019.00250.