Dr Battaglia is the Group Leader Agricultural Mitigation and Adaptation.
Dr Battaglia draws on leadership and communication skills and research expertise in tree physiology and forest ecology, function and modelling to help Australia tackle this major national challenge.
His areas of expertise include:
- greenhouse gas mitigation in agriculture
- carbon sequestration in forests
- whole tree physiology
- gas exchange measurement
- field ecology
- process-based modelling of forest function
- decision support systems.
Dr Battaglia's work focuses on using his expert knowledge to develop quantitative hypotheses and predictive process-based models. His current research projects include:
- modelling climate change impacts of forest function
- modelling the effect of environment and silviculture on wood properties
- developing decision support systems to predict the risk of, and rotation length impact of, forest health matters.
IUFRO Science Achievement Award