10 ways we are different
The Conversation is an independent source of news, analysis and expert opinion, written by academics and researchers, and delivered direct to the public.
- In a world of misinformation and spin, The Conversation contributes to healthy democratic discourse by injecting facts and evidence into the public arena.
- All our content is sourced from university scholars and researchers who have deep expertise in their subject.
- We are committed to responsible and ethical journalism, with a strict Editorial Charter and codes of conduct. Errors are corrected promptly.
- We are transparent, with every author disclosing their expertise, funding, and conflicts of interest.
- We are a global knowledge project, with staff based in Canada, the US, UK, Australia, Africa, France, Indonesia, and Spain working with more than 150,000 specialist scholars and researchers. Our aim is to have editors in every part of the world.
- All our content is free to read and republish under Creative Commons while the rest of the media charges for re-publication.
- We believe in the free flow of information. We disseminate our content to more than 22,000 sites worldwide. That gives our content a global reach of 42 million readers a month, and growing.
- To avoid commercial conflict we don't carry advertising pop-ups or annoying autoplay.
- In Africa, we rely on the support of major foundations and corporates, as well as the National Research Foundation. In the US, we rely on the support of major foundations. In the UK, we rely on universities, research institutes, SAGE and Wellcome Trust, as well as other foundations. In Australia, we rely on the support of universities, research institutes (inc CSIRO), corporates such as the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, as well as foundations and reader donations. In France, our founding partners include CIRAD, the Collège des Bernardins, Conférence des Présidents d'Université (CPU), Grenoble École de Management (GEM), INRA, Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD), the Institut Universitaire de France, Irstea, Kedge Business School, Météo France, Sorbonne Universités, TEPSIS, Université de Lorraine, Université Grenoble Alpes, Université Paris-Est Créteil Val de Marne, Université Paris Nanterre, Université Paris-Saclay, and Université Sorbonne Paris Cité.
- We are a not-for-profit organisation serving the public good.
With your support we can check more facts, report more research and provide more informed explanations of complex problems.