Ugandan Christian University

Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono.

International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital.

By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education - not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.

In 2004, the Government of Uganda granted a charter to Uganda Christian University - the highest level of national accreditation. UCU was the first private University to receive such a charter from the Government.

Links

Displaying 1 article

Research and Expert Database

Authors

More Authors