Enrolled on the P&O programme in 1987.
Qualified as a Prosthetist in 1991.
Worked at Aintree hospital between 1992 & 1999
Joined Salford in 1999
All levels of Prosthetics, particularly upper limb
Mathematics & Biomechanics
Materials & design
Electrically powered prostheses and myoelectric control
Qualifications and Memberships
PhD in myoeletric prosthetics
BSc (Hons.) Mathematics: Upper second class
HND Prosthetics and Orthotics with distinctions
OPTEC diploma in Prosthetics
Mardani MA, Aminian G, Tabatatian F, Arazpoor M, Head J, Hutchins S; 'A novel technique for fabricating an ear prosthesis in a patient with a congenital ear deformity ', Prosthet Orthot Int. 2013 Aug; 37(4): 340-3.
Head J, Hutchins S; ‘A strategic view of workforce and education for prosthetics and orthotics: integrating the requirements of the NHS five year forward view and beyond’. Part of the Health Education England Call for evidence, May 2015. For and on behalf of the British Association of Prosthetists and Orthotists, Paisley, Scotland PA1 1TJ.
Head JS, Howard D, Hutchins SW, Kenney L, Heath GH, Aksenov AY; ‘The use of an adjustable electrode housing unit to compare electrode alignment and contact variation with myoelectric prosthesis functionality: A pilot study’. Prosthet Orthot Int. 2016 Feb; 40(1):123-8.
Head J; Analysing the relationship between socket design and electrode contact with myoelectric prostheses functionality: a prosthesis user questionnaire; May 2009; Trent International Prosthetics Symposium; Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom.
Head, J; Advanced upper limb prostheses for sports amputees, October 2011; English Institute of Sport, Sport City, Manchester, United Kingdom.
Head, J S & Howard, D & Hutchins, S & Kenney, L; The production of motion artefacts using myoelectric prostheses during daily living activities, September 2013; NHS Salford Research day, Salford Hope Hospital, United Kingdom3.
• Television appearance on BBC’s children’s programme, ‘Newsround’, discussing prostheses and the government-led ‘Murrison review into prosthetics’, February 19, 2013
• Selected as a National partner visitor for Higher Education institutions for the National Health and Care Professions Council, December 2015
• Elected onto the British Association of Prosthetists and Orthotists Executive Committee, April 2010
• Selected as a specialist advisory board member of the ‘Limbpower’ charity, December 2015
• Awarded a Vice Chancellor research scholarship in January 2014, working alongside key members of the British Paralympic team, enabling the research and development of specialist sports prostheses