Peter joined the Business School in April 2009 having spent over nine years as a Senior Civil Servant in four Whitehall departments and the Government Office for the East Midlands. Prior to this he spent 23 years in Local Government most recently as a as a Chief Executive. He has also been the Chairman or a Board Member of numerous public private and third sector organisations. He is currently a board member of Nottingham City NHS and Nottinghamshire County NHS and is a Trustee of a Children's Charity.
Peter specialises in the practical implementation of public policy and delivery of public services at the national, regional and local levels. He has particular interests in the following areas:
- strategic management, collective leadership and collaborative networks within an era of multiple and several public responsibilities
- continuous improvement in public policy making and service delivery across local government, health, education and the criminal justice system
- the development and implementation of performance management regimes
- the intervention and turnaround of poorly performing public organisations and services
organisational development and capacity building in public services
- national, regional and local scrutiny of public sector performance
- innovation and the dissemination of good practice in the public sector
- policy and performance within the town and country planning system, cultural and leisure and the emergency services
He is the Joint Practice Editor for the International Journal of Emergency Services.