Research interests are centred around the aetiology and pathophysiology of circulatory disease. Specific interests include:
• The role of white cells in decreased blood flow, the inflammatory cascade and damage to the vascular endothelium.
• The effect of inflammatory stimuli on flow of blood cells in the microcirculation
• Interactions between white blood cells and the vascular endothelium
• The role of inflammatory mediators (such as arachidonic acid metabolites, neutrophil elastase, oxygen radicals and adhesion molecules) in cell activation and decreased cell deformability in diseases including peripheral vascular disease, aortic surgery, venous disease and diabetes.
• The development and use of mathematical models to describe the flow of blood cells through the microcirculation.
Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology