Dr Swee Mak is Director of CSIRO’s Future Manufacturing National Research Flagship (FMF). The FMF was established to lead Australia’s development of cleaner advanced materials and manufacturing technologies to enable manufacturing companies to grow our future productivity and prosperity.
Swee provides scientific, strategic and commercial development leadership across a broad portfolio of research activities including flexible electronics; sustainable materials; advanced engineered components and advanced fibrous materials. Swee is responsible for developing R&D strategy and managing partnerships and collaborations across industry and government.
Swee's career has focused on the development of environmentally sustainable materials and manufacturing processes, their commercialisation and transfer to industry. A key thought leader and advisor to government and industry, Swee holds a PhD in civil engineering from Monash University; an MBA from the Australian Graduate School of Management; is a Senior Fellow at the University of Melbourne and has been a Director on a number of industry boards.
Swee's achievements include:
- Current member of the Technical Working Group of the Prime Minister’s Manufacturing Task Force
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Board Member of the Victorian Direct Manufacturing Centre (DMC)
- Senior Fellow, University of Melbourne, Australia
- CSIRO Medal for Business Excellence, 2009
- Williamson Fellowship from Leadership Victoria, 2008
- Former Director of the Concrete Institute of Australia and ex-President of its Victorian Branch.
- Former Director of the Victorian Center for Advanced Materials Manufacturing (VCAMM) and Director of HySSIL P/L.