The University of Veterinary Medicine Vienna (German: Veterinärmedizinische Universität Wien, or VUW) was founded in 1767 as the world’s third school for veterinary medicine (after Lyon and Alfort). Originally named k. k. Pferde-Curen- und Operationsschule (literally, “Imperial-Royal School for the Cure and Surgery of Horses”), it was assigned to the military. The school became a college in 1897 and was granted the title of “Hochschule”. It became independent in 1905, was accorded the right to award degrees in 1908 and was finally renamed the University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna in 1975. Today, it has around 2,800 students and 600 employees.