Plastic takeaway container caution

More care should be taken when eating food directly from reheated plastic takeaway containers, as accidental ingestion of plastic can obstruct the throat, according to a study in the Medical Journal of Australia. Dr Marianne Guirgis and Dr Chris Pokorny studied two cases of inadvertent ingestion of plastic after food was heated and cut in a softened food container. They found most foreign bodies passed spontaneously but 20 per cent required intervention. Sharp objects presented a medical emergency due to the high risk of perforation.

Read more at Medical Journal of Australia