At the beginning of the 1950s, a group of intellectuals established the Free High School of Historical Science. It was from this group of intellectuals that the idea of building a University was created. The idea took shape in February 1959 by will of the mayor of Verona, Giorgio Zanotto, together with the Provincial Administration and Verona’s Chamber of Commerce. Thus they created the Free Faculty of Economics and Commerce and the Consortium for university studies and in the same year was fixed the location of the University in Palazzo Giuliari, currently home of the Rectorate. The project was finally and definitively achieved in 1982, when the governmental authorities gave Verona the autonomy and status of its University. Thanks to the precious support and strict collaboration of the main public and private governmental institutional representatives, and thanks to the support of its expert teachers, Verona University has grown over the years.
The University of Verona is dedicated to innovation and to maintaining the high quality of its teaching and research. The institution has 22,000 students, and 1,500 teaching and non-teaching staff all dedicated to a continual process of growth and to the development of human, structural and financial resources. The University has strong links to the local community and looks to the future through its constant strengthening of the link between courses offered and the world of work. In the immediate future, one of the University’s principle objectives is to continue with its building programme in order to create an improved and welcoming environment.