I am an academic trained in the study of religion, with a research focus on religion in contemporary Africa. My particular interests are in issues of gender and sexuality in contemporary Christianity in Africa.
I have published widely in this area. In addition to many journal articles, I am the author/editor of the following books:
* Kenyan, Christian, Queer: Religion, LGBT Activism, and Arts of Resistance in Africa (Penn State University Press, 2019)
* Religions in Contemporary Africa: An Introduction, co-authored with Laura Grillo and Hassan Ndzovu (Routledge 2019)
* Christianity, Sexuality and Citizenship in Africa, co-edited with Ebenezer Obadare (Routledge 2019)
* Public Religion and the Politics of Sexuality in Africa, co-edited with Ezra Chitando (Routledge 2016)
* Christianity and Controversies over Homosexuality in Contemporary Africa, co-edited with Ezra Chitando (Routledge 2016)
* Transforming Masculinities in African Christianity: Gender Controversies in Times of AIDS (Ashgate 2013)