Professor Akii Ibhadode is a distinguished Professor of Manufacturing Engineering and Shell Professor of Lightweight Automobile Engine Development. He obtained a B.Sc. (Mechanical Engineering) in the First Class, University of Lagos in 1981, M.Eng. (Production Engineering), University of Benin in 1984, and a Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering), University of Birmingham, United Kingdom in 1987.
Prof. Ibhadode’s unprecedented footprints as a distinguished scholar, researcher and administrator bestride the University of Benin from 1982, and the Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE), Delta State where he was the Vice-Chancellor. He has engineered ground breaking researches leading to outstanding innovations that have attracted both local and global accolades. Amongst these accomplishments include:
- Shell Professorial Chair in Light Weight Automobile Engine Development at FUPRE, 2016;
- Winner of the Nigeria Prize for Science (2010) of the Nigerian Academy of Science sponsored by the NLNG
- Edwin Walker Prize for 1988 of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholar, University of Birmingham (1984-1987)
- Most Innovative Design Award Vehicle Prize at the 1st Africa Shell Eco-marathon Competition, Midrand, South Africa, 2014 for the University of Benin
- Most Fuel Efficient Urban Concept Gasoline Vehicle Prize at the 2nd Africa Shell Eco-marathon Competition, Pretoria, South Africa, 2015 for the Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun
- Most Innovative Design Award Vehicle Prize at the 2nd Africa Shell Eco-marathon Competition, Pretoria, South Africa, 2015 for the Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun
He has attracted grants from various organizations including Nigerian Institute of Oil Palm Research, Ogbemudia Holdings Limited, National Automotive Council (NAC), National Office for Technology Acquisition (NOTAP), National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI), Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC), The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC), the British Council, and the World Bank.
Prof. Ibhadode is a distinguished Fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Science; Member of the Nigerian Society of Engineers; Chartered Engineer of the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria; editor and reviewer of many national and international journals among which is the International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa (JERA) published by Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland which he founded in 2009 and is the Editor-in-Chief.
Driven by his passion for value addition, he founded the Ibhadode Gifted Persons Foundation in 2017.