Carlos has been a Professor of International Political Economy at Universidade de Brasilia since 1993 and Adjunct Professor, School of Politics and International Relations, ANU, in the National Centre for Latin American Studies.
His other roles include:
- Professor of the Rio Branco Institute, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2007-2011)
- Visiting Researcher, University of Oxford, Latin American Centre / Global Economic Governance Programme (2009 - '10)
- Visiting Fulbright-Scholar, University of California, Berkeley (1996 - '98)
- President of the Fulbright Alumni Association, Brazil (2005 - '07)
- Coordinator of the Specialisation Course in International Relations from the University of Brasilia (1999 - '09)