Since it was founded in 1885, Goucher has been firmly committed to excellence in liberal arts and sciences education.
Originally named the Woman’s College of Baltimore City, Goucher was founded in 1885 by a group of influential Methodists led by the Rev. John Franklin Goucher, who, with his wife Mary Fisher Goucher, deeded the college the land to begin its original campus in downtown Baltimore. The college was renamed after the Gouchers in 1910, and relocated its campus in 1954 to a 287-acre wooded campus in Towson, MD, just eight miles north of the heart of the city. The college has been coeducational since 1986.
In 2010, Goucher observed its 125th anniversary, bringing generations of students past and present together to remember the institution’s history and celebrate its future.