I am an experienced designer, a full professor and a practiced small business person who brings an entrepreneurial approach to research. With more than 100 publications, 4 national awards and 25 years of experience in cultural research, teaching and design practice, I am now reframing my research and practice to focus on scaling opportunities for micro enterprises and maker communities. I am currently researching design systems that create pathways from formal and informal education, through micro enterprises and maker communities to the creation of scalable ventures that feed into advanced manufacturing.
My background in cultural communication underpins this new endeavour, offering insights from business development, digital marketing, design sustainability and textile futures. This new practice builds on my social enterprise experience as a co-founder of the 4000 member global network, Museum3, an early social media network (2006 – 2014) that provided an invaluable resource to the cultural sector.
In 2018 I created Making Makers, a consultancy offering Research Stewardship, Bespoke Product Development and Partnership and Network Development. I continue to offer 'maker workshops including “MAKEBREAK” digital fabrication training, workshops in 'Zero Food Waste in the Workplace" and “BisMakers: An Unusual Craft Affair” which brings together senior artisans and emerging digital artisans to share skills and knowledge that translates into business opportunity.
My grant writing and development expertise has resulted in over $12m in grants over 12 years. I have contributed to the development of 2 ARC Centres of Excellence and 1 CRC. I am a highly experienced ARC grant reviewer with particular expertise in DECRAs.
I am currently Associate Dean Research and Research Higher Degrees at the Australian Institute of Business.
My achievements and previous appointments include:
• Queensland Premiers' Smithsonian Fellowship, New York
• Australian Wool Fashion Awards (first prize, 2011 and 2016).
• Australian Postgraduate Industry Award, resulting in AU $1.1 million grant funding
• Professor of Cultural Practice, and ADR University of Canberra (2013-2016)
• Director of Higher Degrees Research, RMIT University (2010-2013)
• Chief Investigator, ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries Innovation
- Head of Communication Design, Queensland University of Technology
• MBA, University College London (2014)
• PhD in Architecture and Design, UniSA (2004)
- Certificate 4, Small Business Management (2018)
Australian Research Council Post Doctoral Fellow 2006 -2010Queensland Premier's Smithsonian Fellow 2004, First Prize - Knitwear Australian Wool Fashion Awards 2016