Who is Dr. José Valentino Ruiz (a.k.a. José Valentino)?
Dr. José Valentino Ruiz is considered by many to be one of the most trailblazing multi-hyphenates of his generation and is expert in music & media, television, global outreach & community development, and education industries. To date and within five continents, Dr. Ruiz has performed 1400+ concerts; produced 90+ albums; produced 30 nationally-televised film scores & jingles; keynoted at 50+ universities; and led 40+ mission trips in partnership with numerous humanitarian organizations.
His artistry and scholarship has been featured nationally and internationally in the USA Today, Billboard, Yahoo!, ESPN, PBS, Fox, CBS, ABC, Univision, Telemundo, and NBC, to name a few.
EMMY® Award Winning music producer and saxophonist (i.e.: Best Cultural Documentary); a GRAMMY® Award Winning composer and flutist (i.e.: Best Contemporary Classical Composition); GRAMMY® Award Winning album audio engineer and flutist (i.e.: Best Christian Album in Spanish Language); a GRAMMY® Award Nominated artist, composer, producer, and audio engineer (i.e.: Best Latin Jazz/Jazz Album); a GRAMMY® Award Nominated album producer and mastering engineer, and arranger (i.e.: Best Instrumental Album); a 52-time DOWNBEAT® Music Award Winning performer, engineer, bandleader, and audio engineer (i.e.: Dr. is the record holder; categories include Jazz Soloist, Small Jazz Group, Blues/Pop/Rock Soloist, Blues/Pop/Rock Group, Latin Group, Studio Engineered Recording, Live Engineered Recording, & Classical Soloist); the AVA Digital® Award Winner (Gold Medal) lead music producer, supervisor of music and audio production, and mastering engineer (i.e.: Best Music Video); a Global Music® Award Winning album producer and audio engineer (i.e.: Best Meditative Album); a Parents' Choice®Award Gold Medal Album musician and audio engineer (i.e.: Best Children's Album); a JRME national doctoral dissertation award finalist; 5-time UK Music Industry® Award Winner (i.e.: Best Instrumental Product); SAEE Research Impact Award finalist, a Hillsborough County Commendation (Tampa Bay) recipient for Excellence in Cultural Entrepreneurship; a USF Outstanding Young Alumni® Award Winner (6 of 100k alumni); Yamaha Young Performing Artist® Award Winner (Flute); Featured Artist of November 2017 for For Bass Players Only® Magazine.
Full-time Leadership Roles in Music Business & Entrepreneurship:
1) Head & Inaugural Professor of Music Business & Entrepreneurship at the University of Florida (2019 - Present)
2) CEO, Consultant, and Record Producer at JV Music Enterprises. (2006 - Present)
Current Joint-Venture Partnerships:
1) Director of Global Entrepreneurship Initiatives for the Diaz Music Institute 501C3 (2017 - Present)
2) Global Ambassador for Worldwind Music UK Co. Ltd. (2010 - Present)
3) Resident Composer/Music Producer at Hayden 5 (2010 - Present)
4) Affiliate Professor at the UF Center for Arts, Migration, and Entrepreneurship (2020 - Present)
Research and creative activities:
To uncover best practices for teaching, facilitating, and engaging in arts entrepreneurial endeavors (i.e., high-quality empirical research studies (quantitative, qualitative, mixed-methods, action research, pragmatic immersion) to foster:
1) arts enterprise scalability and leverage (i.e., music & media production, and performances)
2) multi-level societal amelioration (i.e. cultural empathy and health awareness)
3) functional and sustainable Post-COVID multimodal businesses (i.e., digital and physical economies).
Research studies have been published in the International Journal of Community Music, Journal of Arts Entrepreneurship Education, Journal of Popular Music Education, The Conversation, and National Association for Music Education.
* Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Music, concentration in Music Education. Cognates in Performance, Production, and Pedagogy.
* Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Global Outreach. Concentration in Missiology and Ethnodoxology.
* Master of Music (M.M.) in Instrumental Performance. Concentration in Classical and Studio Music/Jazz.
* Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music Studies. Concentration in Music Theory.
Learn More & Connect: