University of Camerino, School of Advanced Studies, Italy.
Doctoral Public Health Degree: Malaria and Human Development.
Completed: June 2015
Exploratory Study of Community’s and Health Workers Perceptions of and Responses to Malaria Risk in the Context of Declining Malaria Transmission in Malindi, Kenya.
Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya
Masters of Arts July 2008 Medical Sociology
Thesis Title: “Community Participation in Decision
Making for Mosquito Control Activities in Malindi District, Kenya.”
Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya
Bachelor of Arts 1990 – 1995 Sociology and community health
Specialization: Rural sociology, Medical sociology, Criminology, Community development, organizational development, Social work, Gender studies
September 2009 – To date
Kenya Medical Research Institute – Centre for Geographic Medicine, Research – Coast.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Involved in research activities in the vector biology unit,
- Carry out community based activities such as community engagement, conducting
needs assessments and designing training programmes and capacity building exercises
to communities and schools in integrated vector management
- Involved in development of research proposals
- Review manuscripts and protocols from the centre and KEMRI headquarters.
- Supervise and mentor students on internship and attachment.
- Disseminate findings through publications, workshops and meetings
- Participate in journal clubs, seminars and reviewing manuscripts and proposals
- General administration of Malindi field stations
- Networking and collaborating with government ministries, community, NGO’s and other
development agencies working in the Sub-county.
Other Responsibilities at KEMRI- CMRC:
- Member – center scientific committee
- Member – Social and behavioral scientist committee
- A formative study of disposal and re-use of old mosquito nets by communities in Malindi, Kenya. Kibe
LW., Kamau Anne W., Gachigi John K., Mbogo CM., Habluetzel A. Malaria World Journal. 2015
- An Assessment of Participatory Integrated Vector Management for Malaria Control in Kenya. Mutero
CM, Mbogo C, Mwangangi J, Imbahale S, Kibe L, Orindi B, Girma M, Njui A, Lwande W, Affognon
H, Gichuki C, Mukabana WR. Environmental health perspectives. 2015; 123(11):1145-51
- Wide-scale application of Bti/Bs biolarvicide in different aquatic habitat types in urban and peri-urban
Malindi, Kenya. Mwangangi JM, Kahindi SC, Kibe LW, Nzovu JG, Luethy P, Githure JI, Mbogo CM.
Parasitology research. 2011; 108(6):1355-63.
- Understanding the context of HIV risk behavior among HIV-positive and HIV-negative female sex
workers and male bar clients following antiretroviral therapy rollout in Mombasa, Kenya. McClelland L,
Wanje G, Kashonga F, Kibe L, McClelland RS, Kiarie J, Mandaliya K, Peshu N, Kurth A. AIDS
education and prevention: International Society for AIDS Education. 2011; 23(4):299-312.
- Efficacy of vectobac DT and culinexcombi against mosquito larvae in unused swimming pools in
Malindi, Kenya. Kahindi SC, Midega JT, Mwangangi JM, Kibe LW, Nzovu J, Luethy P, Githure J,
Mbogo CM. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association. 2008; 24(4):538-42.
- Examining the determinants of mosquito-avoidance practices in two Kenyan cities. Macintyre K,
Keating J, Sosler S, Kibe L, Mbogo CM, Githeko AK, Beier JC. Malaria journal. 2002; 1:14.
- Comparison of mosquito control programs in seven urban sites in Africa, the Middle East, and the
Americas. Impoinvil DE, Ahmad S, Troyo A, Keating J, Githeko AK, Mbogo CM, Kibe L, Githure JI,
Gad AM, Hassan AN, Orshan L, Warburg A, Calderón-Arguedas O, Sánchez-Loría VM, Velit-Suarez
R, Chadee DD, Novak RJ, Beier JC. Health policy (Amsterdam, Netherlands). 2007; 83(2-3):196-212.
- Community based vector control in Malindi, Kenya. Kibe LW, Mbogo CM, Keating J, Molyneux S,
Githure JI, Beier JC. African health sciences. 2006; 6(4):240-6.
- A geographic sampling strategy for studying relationships between human activity and malaria vectors
in urban Africa. Keating J, MacIntyre K, Mbogo C, Githeko A, Regens JL, Swalm C, Ndenga B,
Steinberg LJ, Kibe L, Githure JI, Beier JC. The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene.
Completed Research Support (2009-2015)
- 2012 - 2015: Principal investigator: Lydiah W. Kibe, Anne W. Kamau, Annette Habluetzel, Charles M.
Mbogo: Exploratory Study of Community’s and Health Workers Perceptions of and Responses to
Malaria Risk in the Context of Declining Malaria Transmission in Malindi, Kenya.
- 2013-2015: Co-investigator: Mutero CM, Mbogo C, Mwangangi J, Kibe L, Orindi B, Girma M, Njui A,
Lwande W. “Integrated Vector Management (IVM) for Sustainable Malaria Control in East Africa”
- 2002 – 2012: Co-investigator: Charles M. Mbogo, Lydiah Kibe, Janet Midega, Samuel Kahindi, Joseph
Mwangangi, Anisa Omar, Peter Leuthy and John I. Githure “Applicability of available technologies for
adaptive integrated vector management in Malindi, Kenya”
- 2009 - 2012: Principal investigator: Lydiah W. Kibe, Charles M. Mbogo, Anisa Omar, Dick Mugaza,
Janet Midega and Jane Alaii. Assessment of net disposal mechanisms in Malindi, Kenya.