Has been a member of Cardiff Business School since 1990, and over this period has developed a wide range of research interests on Welsh economy, the economics of inward investment, tourism economics, regional economics and policy, and on corporate restructuring.
Research on inward investment, regional economics and policy, have led to successful research bids and a wide range of consultancy work for organisations in both the public and private sector.
Published over 80 refereed papers in leading academic journals; recent papers in ABS 4* journals including Environment and Planning A, Tourism Management, European Journal of Operations Research
- H index 30; G index 52 in Sept 2016
- Over £2.1m of external income in period 2012-16 including major grants from Welsh Government, European Commission.
- Currently directing major £1.1m programme of EU research in Wales examining small firm impacts of access to superfast broadband services.
Founder member of the Welsh Economy Research Unit, and Director. With WERU members, has been involved in a number of successful bids for research monies from private and public organisations.
- Regular collaboration with regional institutions and anchor companies, both in terms of research, evaluation, services, and advice.
- Regularly asked to provide economic advice to Welsh Government and stakeholder organisations.
- Regular responses to national and regional government inquiries. Most recently Advisor to Welsh Affairs Committee inquiry to inward investment in Wales (2012) and expert witness to Welsh Government Committee on Promotion of Trade and Investment (2014), and 2015-16 provided evidence to Welsh Government Committee on regional economic modelling, and in 2016 evidence to Hendry Review on Tidal Lagoons.
- Regularly support planning inquiries involving local firms. Most recently undertook research to support new General Dynamics investment at Merthyr Tydfil.
- In 2016 joined Welsh Government delegation to Industrial Liaison Programme at MIT.
- Regular reviewer for journals including Tourism Management, Regional Studies, Ecological Economics, European Journal of Ops Management, Energy Policy, Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Geoforum, Urban Studies