Washington University’s mission is to discover and disseminate knowledge, and protect the freedom of inquiry through research, teaching, and learning.
Washington University creates an environment to encourage and support an ethos of wide-ranging exploration. Washington University’s faculty and staff strive to enhance the lives and livelihoods of students, the people of the greater St. Louis community, the country, and the world.
Our goals are:
- To welcome students, faculty, and staff from all backgrounds to create an inclusive community that is welcoming, nurturing, and intellectually rigorous;
- to foster excellence in our teaching, research, scholarship, and service;
- to prepare students with attitudes, skills, and habits of lifelong learning and leadership thereby enabling them to be productive members of a global society; and
- to be an institution that excels by its accomplishments in our home community, St. Louis, as well as in the nation and the world.
To this end we intend:
- to judge ourselves by the most exacting standards;
- to attract people of great ability from diverse backgrounds;
- to encourage faculty and students to be bold, independent, and creative thinkers;
- to provide an exemplary, respectful, and responsive environment for living, teaching, learning, and working for present and future generations; and
- to focus on meaningful measurable results for all of our endeavors.
The Indonesian public lambasted the Indonesian police after Human Rights Watch released a report that police conducted “virginity tests” on female applicants in the police recruitment process. Many pointed…
Now that the grand jury has decided not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year old man, there remain many questions about this grand jury and generally…